Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Gina Chicken over Rice

Pin It
Many years back, my hubby and I were eating dinner at the home of some new friends.  They served kabobs with the most amazing chicken I've ever eaten.  Of course I had to ask for the recipe and now it is one of my family's favorite ways to enjoy chicken.  I make it often (probably too often)!  It can, of course, be made as shish kabobs, but most of the time I just throw everything in a skillet and serve it over rice (quicker and easier, ya know).  The recipe is really called Yummy Honey Chicken Kabobs and can be found at allrecipes.com.  But since my friend Gina Shatney introduced it to me, my family refers to it as "Gina Chicken".

Here's my save time/save money tip.  I wait till boneless, skinless chicken breasts are on sale.
 (Yesterday, I picked up 4 family-size packages of chicken at $1.79/pound.)  Then I prep several batches for the freezer.  I double, triple or quadruple the marinade recipe and cube an appropriate amount of chicken.  I divide the marinade and chicken into zip-closed freezer bags.  I'll use one for that evening's dinner and freeze the others.  The next time I want to serve Gina Chicken, I just grab a bag from the freezer and let it defrost and marinate in the fridge all day.  When evening rolls around, I just cut up some veggies and toss them and the marinated chicken cubes into the skillet.  Cook some rice while the chicken and veggies cook and you'll have a wonderfully simply and yummy dinner.

Gina Chicken

For the marinade:
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce (Caution: Most soy sauce has wheat in it!  I rely on Bragg's Liquid Aminos Natural Soy Sauce Alternative
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cloves minced garlic
Whisk all ingredients together. 

Boneless skinless chicken breasts (I use about 2 good sized breasts for my family of 5)
8oz fresh sliced mushrooms
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped

Cut chicken into bite-size cubes.  In the fridge, let the chicken soak in the marinade all day (or overnight - the longer the better!).  If making a batch for the freezer, put the chicken and marinade in a freezer bag and place it right into the freezer.  On the day you want to serve it, remove from freezer in the morning and let the chicken marinate in the fridge as it thaws.

To prepare:
Heat a TBSP oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Saute onion for a few minutes.  Add in the mushrooms.  Use a slotted spoon to scoop out the chicken pieces from the marinade, adding chicken to skillet.  Discard remaining marinade.  When chicken is cooked through, toss in bell pepper and let it cook just a minute or two longer, keeping the pepper crisp.  Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! Due to a high volume of spam, comments are being moderated. Your comment will appear as soon as it as been approved.