Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Oatmeal Breakfast Cake {gluten, dairy and egg-free}

Pin It
Breakfast can be one of the toughest meals when you first start out on a gluten-free diet, especially when you have to go egg-free and dairy-free too.  The way I handle this is to make things the night before, or at least prep my ingredients beforehand so I can easily pop something in the oven the next morning and let it bake while I get ready for the day.  This recipe is perfect for that!  A friend of mine shared this recipe with me when she stumbled across it on Scott & Em's blog.  I changed a few ingredients, substituting for allergy-friendly alternatives, and voila!  A delicous, nutritious make-ahead breakfast that's a hit with kids and grownups alike.


Oatmeal Breakfast Cake {gluten, dairy and egg-free}

The Night Before, mix together:
½ cup oil
½ cup brown sugar
3 cups gluten-free rolled oats (make sure to use gluten free oats!)
¾ cup (6 oz container) plain or vanilla non-dairy yogurt (I like coconut yogurt)
¾ cup water
½ cup applesauce
2 TBSP ground flaxseed 
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

In The Morning, mix in:
½ cup blueberries, raisins, chopped apple or peach or whatever fruit you want.

Step 1- In mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients except fruit.  Cover and set in fridge for 12-24 hours (overnight).  This step is important because it softens the oats, encouraging them to stick together to create a cake-like form.


Step 2- The next morning, preheat oven to 350.  Grease an 11x 7 baking pan.

Step 3 – Mix in the fruit.  Put into baking pan.  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes (maybe a few minutes more).  Let it cool slightly which will encourage the cake to set a little more firmly.

NOTE:  If you've forgotten to prep this the night before, you can make it in the morning without affecting the finished product.




6 comments:

  1. This looks yummy. I read your story; I had a similar experience with both my kids, except we seem to have escaped the gluten allergy. I am glad to have found you as a resource. My blog is not gluten-free, but some recipes are:o) I wish I could subscribe to your blog by email....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison,
      Glad to be of help! If you'd like to subscribe by email, I have a 'subscribe' button on the upper right of the blog. Click that and then choose 'by email'. What's the name of your blog?

      Delete
  2. Ok, thanks--I did it! My blog is veganmommychef.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this recipe last night (and this morning) and we LOVED it. I hope to blog about it soon and show off your recipe! Will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it! Its a favorite around here. Let me know when you blog about it - I'll come visit!

      Delete
  4. Breakfast becomes much harder when your child is allergic to eggs, dairy and nuts. Thankfully, we have loved this filling breakfast recipe many times using strawberries, blueberries, even drained canned peaches. Versatility is important when living with FA. Thanks for a great resource!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Due to a high volume of spam, comments are being moderated. Your comment will appear as soon as it as been approved.