Monday, December 30, 2013

Blueberry Banana Pie Smoothie {gluten, dairy, egg-free}

Pin It
Smoothies, smoothies, smoothies!  They're everywhere!  And really, do you need a recipe for a smoothie?  Probably not.  But smoothies are such an excellent way to get all that good stuff into your diet and make it taste good too!  And a recipe can be used more as a guide and less of a precise list of instructions.

This is my latest and favorite smoothie.  It tastes just like this terribly bad-for-you pie I used to make (and love)  around the holidays.  It was made by layering sliced bananas, canned blueberry pie filling and a whipped cream/cream cheese/sugar mixture into a pie crust - served cold.  Now I can enjoy the same flavors, but instead of giving myself a sugar-high I'm feeding my body some really healthful nutrients.  Plus it really fills me up and keeps me feeling full for a long time.

Besides flavor, here are some good reasons to include these foods in your diet:

  • Spinach - Super source of vitamins K and A as well as maganese and folate.  It also has a good amount of iron and vitamin C
  • Banana - Known for high amounts of potassium, bananas also boast fiber, manganese, vitamins B6 and C.
  • Blueberries - One word - antioxidants!
  • Avocado - Good source of good fats, as well as protein and potassium


Blueberry Banana Pie Smoothie

1/2 cup (packed) spinach (about a handful)
1 frozen banana
3/4 cup frozen (or fresh) blueberries
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 avocado
1/2 cup water (to get the consistency right, add more or less water)
1 tsp raw honey (optional)

Into blender, (I use and love my Blendtec), add the above ingredients.  Blend until smooth.  Pour into a tall glass and enjoy.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for your comment! Due to a high volume of spam, comments are being moderated. Your comment will appear as soon as it as been approved.