Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mini-Meatloaves {gluten, dairy and egg-free}

Pin It
Meatloaf.  What more can I say?  Its not fancy, but when its made well, i's such a tasty family staple.  My family LOVES this recipe.  I have never seen people eat so much meatloaf, especially my four year old who can put away a whole mini-loaf!  And I'll let you in on a secret - you can hide chopped kale, spinach or other greens in this meatloaf and your kids won't complain.  My kids didn't even notice (ssshhhh).  Its a great way to sneak in some extra veggies.  I usually serve this with oven-fries or baked potatoes and a vegetable or salad.  Enjoy!

Note: I already have a meatloaf recipe on the blog, but this one is better.  The other recipe has great flavor but tends to fall apart and may be best as meatballs instead of meatloaf.  This new version is inspired by one I found at allrecipes.com.


Mini-Meatloaves {gluten, dairy and egg-free}

Meatloaf:
2 pounds ground beef or turkey
1 cup gluten-free quick oats (I haven't tried it with gf old-fashioned oats, but I'm guessing it would work fine.)
¼ cup ground flaxseed
¼ cup water
1 tsp salt
Optional add-in:  About 1 cup of chopped kale, spinach or other leafy green.
NOTE:  If you are able to tolerate eggs, take out the ground flax and water and replace with 1-2 eggs.

Sauce:
cup ketchup
¼ cup brown sugar
1 ½ tsp mustard

In a mixing bowl, combine oats, ground flaxseed, water and salt.  Add ground beef/turkey (and the optional chopped greens). Get those hands in there and mix it all together.  Form this into mini-meatloaves.  I make 5 loaves, one for each family member, but you could make more or fewer.  Place your loaves in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. 

Now for the sauce:  In a separate bowl, mix together ketchup, brown sugar and mustard.  Spoon the sauce over each loaf, spreading it to cover each one.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! Due to a high volume of spam, comments are being moderated. Your comment will appear as soon as it as been approved.