Thursday, October 6, 2011

Butternut and Ham Soup with Dinner Rolls {Gluten, Dairy and Egg-Free}

Pin It
Butternut and Ham Soup with GF Dinner Rolls
I had never cooked with a butternut squash until this week, but when one showed up in our CSA farm haul it triggered a memory of a warm and wonderful soup a friend had shared with me last fall.  The soup had been so warm and so wonderful that I had requested the recipe from her and was able to pull it out this week and give it a try.  It turned out warm and wonderful - and it made enough for dinner, a batch for the freezer and a comforting bowl hidden away in the fridge for my lunch the next day (bonus!).  This recipe created by my friend Gina Shatney (yes, the same friend of the famed Gina Chicken), originally called for cream to be added, but the soup is just as wonderful without the dairy.

As for the rolls, I can't take credit for that recipe either.  That one comes from my absolute favorite gluten-free cooking blog, Gluten Free Goddess.  Her dinner roll recipe is, I'm sure just perfect the way it is, but for simplicity's sake (and because I didn't have all the ingredients on hand) I made a few changes and they turned out great.  Feel free to follow the original Gluten Free Dinner Roll recipe found on her site, or my simplified version.  I followed her recipe except I replaced the flours with 1 1/2 cups sorghum flour, 1 1/2 cups potato starch, and 1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP millet flour.  The only other change I made was to omit the Ener-G Egg Replacer and use 1/4 cup applesauce in its place.

And now for the soup (thanks, Gina!) . . .

Butternut and Ham Soup {gluten, dairy and egg-free}

1-2 cups ham, chopped into bits
2 T olive oil
1 butternut squash (peeled, seeded, chopped in 1 inch cubes.... Roast
the seeds to eat while you cook!)
1-2 cups potatoes, peeled & chopped in 1 inch cubes
1/2 cup celery, chopped
3 carrots, sliced thick
1 onion, chopped
1 bag frozen corn, thawed
salt, pepper, thyme, rubbed sage
8 cups vegetable and/or chicken broth


Heat oil & add squash, celery, carrots, onion.  Stir & cook until the onion is soft.  Add ham and potatoes.  Season to taste with salt, pepper, thyme, and rubbed sage (I like lots of thyme & sage).  Add broth and simmer until potatoes and squash are soft.  Use an immersion blender (or remove several cups of soup to a blender) to puree PART of the soup - just enough to thicken it up a bit and turn the broth a nice orange color.  Blend up to half if you want a thicker, chowdery soup.  Add the corn.  Heat soup up gently; don't boil.  Freeze leftovers for dinner another night, or enjoy the extra for lunches.


This recipe is being shared at Potluck Party Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! Due to a high volume of spam, comments are being moderated. Your comment will appear as soon as it as been approved.