Monday, January 23, 2012

Meal Plan Monday - Jan 23, 2012

Pin It We got snow over the weekend!  The kids have been waiting and waiting - we usually have a bit of snow by this time during the winter.  So hubby and the kids went sledding and I headed to the kitchen for some experimental baking.  I made some gf/df/ef bagels - I've been working on this recipe for a while and was inspired to try using more of the whole grain flours and less starch.  The results are edible, but not blog-worthy.  I'll keep trying.  I also began my first attempts at sourdough.  After doing some research, I put together my first gf/df/ef sourdough starter and so far, it looks and smells like its working.  I'll post more about this after I produce a yummy loaf of sourdough bread (assuming I succeed). 

On to our menu plan . . .

MONDAY - Today I'm excited to try out a new recipe based on this one I found at Organized Home for Chicken Vol Au Vents.  Of course, it will take a bit of allergy-friendly magic and the results may be very different from the original recipe, but I'm thinking its going to be yummy.  I'll let you know!  Follow-up (Feb 2, 2012):  Here's the yummy results of my recipe tinkering Creamy Chicken Pie

TUESDAY - Skillet Pie - This is based on my mother-in-law's recipe.  Its a very simple skillet dish of ground beef, cubed potatoes, and peas.  Her recipe calls for condensed cream of mushroom soup, so I'll figure out a substitute for that.  Then you put the beef/potato filling in a gluten, dairy and egg-free pie crust.  This is a great one for the freezer.  Once I get this recipe worked out, I'll post it.

WEDNESDAY - Chili and Cornbread - For a great cornbread recipe, check out this one at Gluten Free Goddess.  I usually make a few changes, but I'm sure its great the way it's written.

THURSDAY - Baked Chicken Thighs and Mashed Potatoes

FRIDAY - Baked Potatoes topped with planned-overs of Chili from Wednesday

SATURDAY - Italian Sausage and Rice 

SUNDAYSpaghetti and Meatballs

For more inspiration, check out Organizing Junkie and Angela's Kitchen.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'm excited about the bagel and sourdough recipes. I'll be watching for them! Your pasta and meatballs looks yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first attempt at sourdough starter ended up taking over my counter in less than 3 days - it was a science experiment gone very, very wrong - so I'm always interested in seeing it work for others!
    Great looking meal plan. I need to remember a baked potato bar idea for nights I need something easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sosimplygood - My sourdough starter is looking a little quiet so Im a little worried that its not doing what its suppose to. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am totally going to be watching for your gfdfef sourdough method! Although who am I kidding? I haven't even mastered regular sourdough!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! Due to a high volume of spam, comments are being moderated. Your comment will appear as soon as it as been approved.